Sunday, March 9, 2014

8 Days, 7 Nights

It's been one week since I introduced you to my Whole30 adventure - you know, the uber restrictive eating program that will reset the way my brain craves food, or something like that. Well, after one week, I can say that I've had less than five hangry outburts, and I'm feeling like I want a cookie and a diet coke good. (Note: for those of you who are unfamiliar with the term hangry, it's when your hungry-angry, and don't act like you've never experienced the sensation.)

The biggest trial to-date has been my inability to grab food in a pinch or to go to most restaurants in Dallas. It's not just the no sugar / no grain combination that's hard. I have to concern myself with everything from cooking methods to oil used in the cooking process. On Friday, I bombarded a poor waiter with questions about what oil was used when cooking their sweet potatoes. He thought I was a total freak. Then, last night, I went out with some friends. When we couldn't decide on a restaurant due to my limiting restrictions and Kyle's limited preferences, I suggested we go to a fresh salad restaurant. Andrew's response: "Amanda, it's nighttime." Are salads only a day time food? No one sends me food memos anymore.

So, I start another week of prepping a lot of food for Whole30 meals. There's zucchini pasta in the fridge for dinner (y'all, this is really good!). I'm currently smoking out my roommates grilling 4 pounds of chicken strips. All in the name of resetting my body and my mind. I know what you're thinking, and yes, I do think it's working. There's a lot of body chemistry mumbo-jumbo that I will totally bore you with if you ask me about it. But, more than that, I truly feel better. (I feel less good when I smell the muffins and kolaches at the coffee shop, but that's because they smell like everything I can't have.)


No comments:

Post a Comment