Monday, March 3, 2014

Craving Something Wholly Different

When it comes to dieting, I'm pretty vocal against quick-fix solutions that promise extreme weight loss for little-to-no-effort. Maybe it's because I've tried everything (and I do mean everything), and when I found what worked, it wasn't a prepackaged meal plan or mystery serum placed under the tongue. What works is being smart about the type of food and how much of it you put in your body. Oh, and exercise.

Based on these sentiments, you can safely assume that I've been skeptical about recent trendy dieting plans: gluten-free, intermittent fasting, and Paleo. I mean, betches do love to be gluten-free (sometimes). With all of these details on the table, I humbly admit that I am going with the trend. But just for 30 days. Several of my friends have gone through the Whole30 program. Like so many before, I chided them. My brain totally needs whole grains to function. Well, that's what I tell myself so that I can eat at Chipotle two or more times a week.

Lately, my cravings have been out of control, and I have sought to satisfy them all with food. From the delicious mini Kit-Kat bars in our candy bowl at work to the family-size box of Wheat Thins in my pantry, I have become a creature of indulgence. Whatever I crave, whenever I crave it, I let myself go. But what if I sought something else in those cravings? What my craving is justified, and I'm using the wrong thing to satisfy it?

Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world - the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and the pride of life - is not from the Father but is from the world. - 1 John 2:15-16

My desire for food has weakened my desire for God. For me, that's just unacceptable. So, for my health and for my soul, I'm taking on the Whole30 challenge. It's Day 2, and I'm feeling like I want a chocolate chip cookie good. The plan is to go 30 days without processed foods, dairy, sugar additives, etc. After 30 days, I will systematically reintroduce these things into my diet - but (hopefully) with decreased cravings for all of the bad stuff.

For the next 28 days, I'll need support. I'll seek it in God, but don't be surprised if I call one of you at 2AM for a 4th meal. Just refer me to His word, or block my number until April 1st.

1 comment:

  1. Amanda, thanks for sharing! I think all of his experience these cravings and you are motivating to me to not be as indulgent as well! We will be your support team at work :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete